My research area covers high-mass star formation, molecular clouds, feedback/outflows, and radiative transfer modelling. I use Observation + RT Modelling.
My PhD work is mainly focused on understanding characteristics of the massive dense clumps where massive stars form. I use SuperMALT multi J molecular transition line survey for studying evolutionary stage (physical and chemical) characteristics of 76 MALT90 clump. I use radiative transfer models (eg. RADEX) for constraining physical properties eg. densitis, kinetic temperatures. In addition, I use ALMA high resolution observation towards selected clumps to understand clump to core scale evolutionary properties.
The SuperMALT project is a follow up of the MALT90 survey with the goal of observing a subsample of 76 MALT90 clumps (25 pre-stellar or quiescent (Q), 26 proto-stellar (P) and 25 HII clumps (HII)) in high excitation molecular lines and key isotopomers (see Table 1) using the Apex 12m telescope. This survey is made with an angular resolution of ~20'' and a velocity resolution of ~0.1 km/s.
The main goal of the project is to combine the low transition data from MALT90 and the high transition data from SuperMALT to determine the physical properties of the clumps, such as temperature, density, column density and chemical abundance.
Early Science Results:
Fig 2: Line Profiles.
Fig 3: Test result of RADEX RT models for constraining physical properties.
Currently I am engaged in following projects:
1. Physical and Chemical properties of massive dense clumps (APEX/MOPRA)
2. Mass distribution and turbulence in massive dense clumps (APEX/ALMA)
3. Density profile evolution of different evolutionary stage clumps (Artemis/Apex)
4. Clump scale outflow properties (APEX/ASTE)
Sudeep Neupane, born and raised in Nepal, moved to Santiago, Chile in 2013 to persue PhD in Astrophysics in University of Chile. His area of research includes molecular clouds and star formation. Previously, he studied B.Sc. in Physics (2008) and M.Sc. in Physics (2012) from Tribhuwan University, Nepal. In addition, he has obtained B.S. degree in Sanskrit Astronomy (2007) from Nepal Sanskrit University, Nepal.
- 2012: M.Sc. (Physics) , Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- 2008: B.Sc. (Physics) , Tribhuvan University, Nepal
- 2007: B.S. (Sanskrit Astronomy) , Nepal Sanskrit University, Nepal
Teaching and Outreach
- 2015/6: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Course: Galaxies, Profesor: Paulina Lira, Institution: Department of Astronomy, Universidad de Chile.
- 2014/5: Graduate Teaching Assistant, Course: Observational Astrophysics, Profesor: James Jenkins, Institution: Department of Astronomy, Universidad de Chile.
- 2011: Physics Lecturer, Course: Undergraduate Physics (Mechanics), Institution: Xavier International College, Kathmandu, Nepal
- 2007-2012: Astronomy Outreach , Basic Astronomy lectures and talks for public, teachers and students in Nepal
Selected Professional Activities
- 2013: Project Leader, Galilio Teacher Training Program 2013, Nepal, Funding: IAU-OAD TF2
- 2012: Project Leader, Galilio Teacher Training Program 2012, Nepal, Funding: IAU-OAD TF2
- 2012: International Outreach Team Member, Yuri's Night World Space Party - 2012
- 2011: Regional Organiser and Executive member, Yuri's Night World Space Party - Celebrating 50 years of human space flight
Awards and Fellowship
- 2013- : Graduate Scholarship for PhD, Department of Astronomy, University of Chile.
- 2011: International Youth Grant Award 2011, International Astronautic Federation (IAF)
- 2002-2007: Student Residential Fellowship, Nepal Sanskrit University, Nepal
Conference and WorkshopsC: Oral Talks, P: Poster Contribution
- 2011: International Astronautic Congress (IAC2011), Cape Town, South Africa [C]
- 2011: UN/IAF Workshop, 2011, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2011: Space Generation Congress (SGC), 2011, Cape Town, South Africa
- 2011: Asia Pacific Regional IAU meeting APRIM2011, Chiang Mai, Thailand [C]
- 2011: Middle East and Africa Regional IAU Meeting, MEARIM2011, South Africa [C]
- 2010: Global Hands-on Universe (GHOU) conference and Galileo Teacher Training (GTTP) Workshop, Munich, Germany [C]
- 2010: Summer School in Cosmology, 2010, organized by International Center for Theoretical Physics (ICTP), Triaste, Italy
- 2009: Winter School of Astroparticle Physics on December 2009 in Darjeeling organized by Bose Institute and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research TIFR, India.